Winter is here and it is finally beginning to feel like Christmas. This weekend it rained like crazy here in Los Angeles (rain is our snow) and that means homemade soup and cozy sweatpants.
1. Chop off the tops and ends of the leeks, leaving the white section. Keep a handful of the tops and discard the remaining tops and ends.
2. Slice the leeks (see the above pics) and crush the garlic.
3. In a stock pot, add the butter, leeks and garlic. Heat on low/med until soft.
4. Peel and chop the potatos into small cubes.
5. Add chicken stock, salt and potatos to the pot. Toss the a handful of tops into the pot. Bring to a boil and cook until tender.
6. Once cooked, remove the tops with tongs.
7. Remove from heat and very slowly add a small amount of the milk. Blending well, continue adding milk and add the cream fraiche at the end.
8. Ladle all but 1 cup of the soup into a glass blender (or use an immersion blender or a food processor) Puree until smooth.
9. Add the un-pureed cup to the soup and ladle into soup bowls. Top of with fresh ground pepper and a few chopped chives.
Enjoy and cuddle up,