Have you ever thought of eating off burlap? No way! But with the easy technique you can make a rustic designer set of plates and chargers using burlap, scrapbook paper and Mod Podge. The plates are not dishwasher safe. They will need to be gently hand-wiped clean. They are great for salads, desserts and cheeses. Look for glass plates and chargers at your dollar store and jazz them up!
The Plate: What you need:
Fall themed scrapbook papers, Scissors, Glass plate, Foam Paintbrush, Mod Podge Matte, Mod Podge Fabric, Burlap fabric
1. Cut a fall leaf shape from scrapbook paper. Apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the top of a paper leaf. Working on the backside of the plate, position the leaf in the center of plate. Press with your fingers to remove any air bubbles and allow to dry.
2. Trim the burlap so it is just larger than the plate. Coat the entire backside of the plate with fabric Mod Podge. Use a thick coat. Position the burlap on the back of the plate. Smooth with your fingers. Place the wet side up and allow to dry over night. Once dry, trim around the edge to get a smooth edge.
3. This is not waterproof. Should be used for cheese or cookies. Wipe the top clean.
The Charger: What you need:
Fall themed scrapbook papers, Fall leaf paper punch, Foam paintbrush, Gold charger, Mod Podge Gloss
1. Using a paper punch, punch fall leaf shapes from scrapbook papers.
2. Apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the back of a paper leaves. Position the leaves on the edge of the charger, press with your fingers to remove any air bubbles and allow to dry. Once dry, top coat with a thin coat of Mod Podge.